16.10.09

à la Nix Dicksons

You know something’s up when both you and your mom are tapping along to the same songs. True story though, I guess The Nix Dicksons just have that effect on the young and old alike. And my mom being particularly choosy with her music- changing the radio station/ song every few minutes- genuinely enjoyed this local band's song King of Connecticut. Even listened to the whole thing, trust me, if you knew her this is shocking stuff.


My favorite song would be harder to choose. Big Kids absolutely speaks to me. Probably the blunt and honest lyrics, two things I never get enough of. And Curtis’ Zombie Movie is the perfect song to wake up to and get ready to face anything. Visit their myspace and let me know which song are you going to be humming all day long. http://www.myspace.com/thenixdicksons Like S said, comments are more than welcome!





I recently acquired their Panda EP (photo above) from a recent concert both S and I had attended and was pleasantly surprised at how diverse all the songs are, especially for a 6 track EP. Impressive in the least! With such a good guy attitude, and laid-back approach I know this band will make it far. And with a rad new bass player, she's sure to shake things up a bit. You go girl!


This brilliant EP isn't even out until the 18th and I am counting myself pretty damn lucky for having it before anyone else. But you too can pick one up at Megatunes or head to the FREE (you heard right) release party this Sunday, at Tropicana located in Marda Loop, and will be sold for a steal of $6. At that price you can grab one for a friend to hey? =) And be sure to wish the band happy first birthday!




Something special about The Nix is that they don’t take themselves too seriously, this band definitely knows how to have fun and they don’t use pretentious lyrics and try to sound philosophical by using silly metaphors that only the 'enlightened' one can relate to. Each song was very different sounding, and yet every one has that little bit of something special, à la Nix Dicksons.


-B

No comments:

Post a Comment